How much do you think it would cost to buy some of the homes on your tv this Christmas? While you’re lazing on the sofa watching your favourite festive films, quiz your nearest and dearest on the cost of the properties featured on-screen.
Estate agent comparison website GetAgent.co.uk has calculated how much it would cost to buy tv homes – from Gavin and Stacey’s terraced house in Barry, South Wales, to Downton Abbey. How many values could you guess?
The Love, Actually house
The redbrick terrace in “the dodgy part of Wandsworth” where Love Actually’s Natalie lives is actually in Herne Hill, South East London [left], and would cost over £1 million (around £1,024,286) today.
Stacey’s house in Gavin and Stacey
Another redbrick terrace, this time in Barry, South Wales [above], would sell at an estimated £173,788. Wonder whether it will feature in the long-awaited Christmas special?
Bridget Jones’ bachelorette flat above a pub
The apartment owned by Bridget Jones, above The Globe tavern [right] in Borough Market, London, would cost an eye-watering £1.44 million today. It’s been estimated that the one-bed pad would have cost Bridget £190,000 when she made her screen debut in 2001. Not a bad investment for a chaotic, 30-something singleton!
James Bond’s ancestral family home in the highlands of Scotland, which played a central role in the 2012 film Skyfall, was actually a custom-built set. But if you were to buy the mansion in Scotland today, it would set you back around £2.2 million.
Highclere Castle [left], which doubles as the country seat of the Crawley family in Downton Abbey, would cost a mere £137m if owner George Herbert, 8th Earl of Carnarvon decided to sell.
Del Boy and Rodney’s flat in Only Fools and Horses
The Peckham pad of wheeler dealers Del Boy and Rodney, in the high rise block of flats called Nelson Mandela House, would cost £395,778 today. Might need a bit of renovation though!
4 Privet Drive
Harry Potter fans will remember the smart suburban cul-de-sac home of the Dursley family where Harry miserably spent his early years. The scenes were actually filmed at 12 Picket Post Close in Bracknell, Berkshire [right], which was put up for sale in 2016 for £475,000.
Other homes priced up by GetAgent are
- Susan Walker’s dream family home in Miracle on 34th Street, a detached house in Forest Lake, Illinois, USA, would cost around £2.75m if listed today.
- The suburban detached house in Chicago, as featured in Home Alone, would cost £1.2m.
- A New York apartment, as featured in Elf, would cost £1.05m.
- In The Holiday, the cottage where Iris Simpkins resided would cost £528,000.
- The Vicar of Dibley’s windmill cottage in Turnville would cost £580,000.
- Sherlock Holmes’ flat, 221 Baker Street, would cost just over £2.7m to purchase.
- Edina Monsoon’s Holland Park Avenue house in Absolutely Fabulous would cost £2.25m.
- Will Freeman’s (Hugh Grant’s) bachelor pad in About A Boy would cost just over £1m.